I finished my political painting this week and titled it “Divided We Are”. I started out with painting one of my “traditional” elementals paintings in blues and reds. It’s a bit hard to see, but some of the squares run together, creating some purple areas, and I’ve added a bit of sepia into some of the red squares on the far right. We’ll call it “mud”.
For the past few weeks, I’ve been keeping a list of words to add to my painting in my studio journal. I think I ended up with over 200 words (people, places, things, actions, emotions) to work with – and, it took me two days to choose which ones to add to my painting.
Also a bit hard to see in my photo, I sliced the paper down the “middle”, leaving the outside edges intact so that I created an open slit. I then mounted my paper onto acrylic-embellished stretched canvas (here’s how), inserting paper wedges under the edges of the slit so that they gaped open.
So, that’s how I see things right now in July of 2008: “Divided We Are”. My painting will be on display in the “UnConventional” exhibit at The Other Side Arts in Denver through the end of August.